Friday, August 17, 2007

TLC: The Friday Home of Fashion?

Apparently friday night is Fashion Night on TLC.

Imagine my surprise when I turned on the tv at 9:00 tonight to find that Stacy London (one of the hosts of TLC's What Not to Wear) has a new show. It's called Fashion Fanatic, and I loved it. I watched raptly as Stacy tried on glorious shoes, chatted with Christian Louboutin, toured the Ferragamo factory, and took stiletto fitness classes. I drooled over the rows of handbags as she explored the warehouse of Bag, Borrow, or Steal and interviewed Devi Kroell. And I learned a whole lot, like the fact that while Louboutin feels that placing platforms in the front of his shoes makes them more comfortable, he thinks women who want to run should wear sneakers (I guess he wouldn't approve of Carrie Bradshaw then). Also, I learned that wearing stilletos puts three times your body weight on the balls of your feet. No wonder they hurt.

After Fashion Fanatic, A Model Life with Petra Nemcova is on (I'm watching it now.) I've been meaning to mention this show for a while, just because I like it. Unlike other model shows (America's Next Top Model, The Agency, Janice Dickinson's Modeling Agency) the focus isn't on bitchiness, bickering, and unpleasant drama. Admittedly, I enjoy those shows, especially Janice Dickinson's, but I always get the distinct feeling that they're crap. A Model Life doesn't feel as petty and time-wasting. Petra seems down to Earth, as do the models. There is no competition, so the models get along. The whole point of the show is just to follow the models as they try to make it in the fashion world and find their way around NYC, and to watch Petra try to help them. I approve.

Before and after these shows is What Not to Wear. Hence my comment about Friday night being Fashion Night on TLC.

Fashion Fanatic, one of my new favorite shows, is on again at 11:00 if you missed it. Go check it out! (Unless you have more of a life than me, of course, and are actually out on a Friday night...)

4 comments:

LalaLiu said...

I love fashion fridays on TLC!! who needs to go out on friday nights when you have the good ole Learning Channel. But darnit I missed fashion fanatic, lovely blog by the way :)

Kori said...

Haha I agree. Thanks!

In Yr Fshn said...

Now I have to race home and Tivo the Stacey London show. Did you see her (very) short-lived attempt at a talk show? It was sooo bad (but in a kind of good way) and only lasted one episode. I felt a little bad for her, so I hope this show makes it. I can't wait to watch!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god!! i love fashion fanatic and i turned my head fir a second and missed where stacey was when she was trying on a really cute poair of heels ... they were pinkish red or something and it was in the first place she was and i had to have them ... now that i read your blog i can find them. You mentioned chistian and i havent seen that site yet. thankyou so much you saved my night!!! hahah i dont have anywhere to go tonight, i have to stay home with my one year old daughter hehe thanks again for posting that!!! ciao