Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fashion Book Craze

My Amazon.com wish list started out small. Then it grew. And grew. And grew. Gradually I added novels, then the sequels to those novels. And then I discovered fashion books, and I added those too.

Needless to say, my wish list is pretty damn long by now.

I purchase a few of my desired novels every now and then, but most of the coveted fashion books are just too expensive to splurge on.

Today the existence of the library finally occurred to me. I logged on to the library network, and - lo and behold - the fashion books are available at various nearby libraries! Woohoo! It seems like a fairly obvious solution, but I've sort of avoided the library since I realized at about age 7 that I preferred to own books so I could read them over and over again.

Anyway, I plan to hit the library in the near future and then spend hours holed up in my room, pouring over tomes like In Vogue: the illustrated history of the world's most famous fashion magazine and 100 Years of Fashion Illustration. If I really wanna go crazy, I might pick up a sewing book or two and try to teach myself how to sew a bit better than my current pathetic sewing state. I'm totally psyched.

Speaking of fashion books, I won Nina Garcia's The Little Black Book of Style from ShopDiary (Eee!), so as soon as it arrives in the mail, I'll be posting a review!

3 comments:

Meg said...

I have a ton of books because I like to own books, too. Most books I own are non-fiction and used for reference. However, when I started getting interested in fashion I realized that I didn't have the money or space to buy all the books I needed.

I never used the library back home because it was so small and that was before the internet, but now I've discovered the local library system here and their wonderful web site. Now, I save books to my Amazon wish list, check the library database to see which ones they have, have them put on hold, and pick them up from the closest branch when they are available.

By the way, I have the In Vogue book on my coffee table right now. It's from the library, in fact. Funny thing, I was using a gift suggestion search for myself and it came up! Guess the sites has some good algorithms. It's definitely an interesting book. I've gone through the photos with two friends already, though I haven't read much of the text yet.

Chic and Charming said...

I like Nina's book, esp. the Ruben Toledo illustrations.

Kori said...

Meg- That seems like a good system! I may have to adopt it:)

Chic and Charming- Good! I guess I'll probably like it, then.