Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Sisterly Incident

Scene: It's a lazy Sunday morning, and my sister Melanie has carefully lined her eyes in black.

"Eyeliner?" I say, and because my family doesn't wear a lot of makeup, I add, "Are you going somewhere?"

She shrugs. "Maybe. Maybe not."

"Then why the eyeliner?" I prod.

She shrugs again. "Why not?" Then she grins, and says, "Because I can."

I smile back at her. "Good reason."

It's true - I really do think that is a good reason. In fact, I think I'll be so bold as to make another New Year's resolution. This year, I will doll myself up because I can. It doesn't matter if I have anywhere special to go, or anyone special to see. There doesn't need to be an occasion to look good. So thanks for the lesson, Mel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think this mindset is very healthy... do it to please yourself, because it's fun. :)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Definitely reason enough. I would wear winged eyeliner to work everyday this summer and my co-workers kept commenting on, but I just felt like, why not? I like it, I'll wear it till I'm tired of the look, then move on.

WendyB said...

Yes, why the hell not!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

2008 FASHION BLOGGER AWARDS ARE HAPPENING, PLEASE FILL OUT THE NOMINATION FORM @MAHALOFASHION.COM

Thanks,

Jen