Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Mall Incident

Scene: My friend and I stride up to the entryway of Gilly Hicks in the local mall. A group of sales assistants stand uneasily before us, their expressions a curious mixture of amusement and panic.

A sales assistant clears her throat as we try to move forward and says, "You might not want to go in there."

We pause, confused, and wait for her to explain.

"We have a . . . situation," she continues. "There's a bat in the store, and we can't get rid of it."

Her coworkers giggle nervously. My friend shrugs and starts to enter the store, but my arm snakes out to grab her back as I remember the warnings my younger self was given while camping. "We'll come back later," I tell her, feeling like a bit of a wimp. We make a hasty retreat.

Hmm. I never liked the layout of Gilly Hicks, but it never occurred to me that the dark, claustrophobic atmosphere would be perfect for a little night critter. Or maybe the bat just had an urge to nest among the lingerie?

Oh, suburbia. We have such a love-hate relationship.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe...what a funny retail situation.... not something I've encountered...roaches, rats, damp...yes...bat...sadly not...

WendyB said...

Oh, my husband has a great story about having a bat in his house -- when he told me about it, I drew him a picture of an aerosol product called "Bat-a-Way" (get yours today!)

Anonymous said...

I worked in a shoe store, and this actually happened to me. We still have no idea how the bat got in there being we have no outside entrance, meaning the bat would have had to patrol through the mall before it entered the store.

Jazz Kate said...

This sounds ...fun? Or perhaps not; I've heard the hair-related horror stories. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/art-and-soul-restaurant-week-menu.html]art and soul restaurant week menu[/URL]